Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mormon Times Rebukes Glenn Beck?

It would be difficult for me to convince you exactly just how boring I find politics nowadays, but when it overlaps with Mormonism I try to force myself to follow along -- and the current popular interest in and newsworthiness of Glenn Beck, Mitt Romney, and Harry Reid - Mormons, all - has me following along much more than I'd particularly care to.

So when Glenn Beck made the news earlier this month for bagging on "social justice," I noticed. If the whole dust-up escaped your attention, it basically boiled down to Beck somehow tying the concept hidden behind the "code words" social justice to Nazism and communism and encouraging his viewers to leave their church if they should discover the phrase on their church's website. His actual words were, "I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!"

Fine. Not that I agree with him -- truthfully, I can't be bothered to muster interest enough to think about it for a time sufficient to form an opinion. But I did notice with some amusement that while Beck may not currently find "social justice" on his church's website, he can now find it on the Mormon Times website. (For those of you who don't know what the Mormon Times is, it's a religious supplement to the LDS Church-owned Deseret News. It's not an official publication of the Church technically, but you would search in vain for anything published there out of harmony with the Church's position, mission, and message.)

Yesterday's Mormon Times had an article that I just can't help but think is a veiled rebuke of Glenn Beck, though it never actually mentions him at all. It's title? "Social justice in the Book of Mormon" LOL


Edited to add: Oh, geez. It turns out that both "social justice" and "economic justice" DO appear on the LDS Church's official website after all. What was it Glenn said? Oh yeah, "I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can." Strap them New Balances on tight, folks.

For a compilation of the taboo phrases' occurrences on LDS.org, see "Glenn Beck urges Mormons to leave the Church." 



No comments:

Post a Comment